INSURANCE & REINSURANCE
KBH provides general advice to companies, groups and individuals in relation to the appropriate scope of insurance cover, including directors and officers, professional indemnity, financial institutions, electronic and computer crime, public liability, product liability, employers’ liability, property and construction employment insurance, and professional negligence.
We also advise on the licensing and compliance requirements for insurers, brokers, third party administrators, reinsurers, intermediaries and takaful providers in each jurisdiction where KBH is present.
The insurance practice has been strengthened by the addition of Patrick Dillon-Malone, a senior barrister with extensive specialist knowledge and experience in the field of general liability claims on behalf of leading insurers in Ireland and in the UK and further afield in Europe and the Middle East. Patrick has particular expertise in underwriting and indemnity aspects of commercial insurance claims in the construction, property and public utility/infrastructure/communications sectors.
Our dispute resolution team handles all aspects of contentious work on the insurance side. In particular, we offer a full “360” case management service, from claims preparation and management, to opinions and advice to insurers on the existence or scope of liability, to the pleadings and disclosure and other pre-trial aspects, to full representation and advocacy before the Courts or arbitral tribunals led by in-house counsel or, in appropriate cases, in collaboration with external counsel on behalf of our clients and their co-insurers.
Our insurance expertise includes:
- Advising on policy negotiation and wording
- Provision of expert underwriting and liability opinions
- Advising on policy interpretation in a claims and indemnity context
- Indemnity claims and disputes
- Reinsurance claims and disputes
- Subrogated disputes and recovery claims
- Negotiation and settlement of claims
- Representation in insurance arbitrations including related maritime, construction, recovery action and property related insurance liability claims
- All pleadings and advocacy in insured and subrogated claims before the Courts and before international and domestic arbitral tribunals
As in other areas of our disputes practice, in cases where they are agreed as mutually beneficial for us and our clients, KBH is in a position to consider and offer alternative fee structures, including contingency, success fee and flat fee arrangements, in insurance related disputes.